Saturday, September 19, 2009

gambling sometimes pays off

Our front yard is "xeriscaped." Most of it is rock over a landscape fabric weed barrier. However, enough dirt has filtered down between the rocks and barrier for things to germinate and grow. Luckily, the roots just grow sideways on top of the barrier and stuff is easy to pull up. We've had both good and bad: agastache, sunflower, and chamisa volunteers; tumbleweed; dandelions. This spring I weeded like crazy, but there were these plants that looked suspiciously like asters. I wasn't sure, but I decided to leave them anyway.

Turns out I was right, and our yard is currently waist-deep in purple. They'll probably die over winter, because their roots are so exposed. Maybe I'll (gently) pull some up + transplant them.





No comments: